MBBS, FRACS, FAOrthA
Soong Chua is a Melbourne orthopaedic surgeon specialising in arthroscopic and joint replacement surgery of the shoulder, knee, and elbow.
As a shoulder surgeon, he has a particular interest in arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery and reverse total shoulder replacement surgery. He also has significant interest and experience as a knee surgeon in robotic knee replacement surgery.
Born and raised in Melbourne, Soong completed his medical degree through the University of Melbourne before obtaining his fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgery from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the Australian Orthopaedic Association in 2012. He then completed a year of international subspecialty training with world-renowned surgeons in London at the Fortius Clinic, and in Milan at the Istituto Clinico Humanitas.
Soong holds a public appointment at Austin Health, where he is the head of Orthopaedic Unit 2 and has served as Deputy Director of the Orthopaedic Department. He is a supervisor of training and is heavily involved in teaching junior doctors and orthopaedic surgeons.
He is committed to achieving the best patient outcomes and continues to refine his skills and knowledge, through research, educational courses, and multiple visits (by invitation) to leading surgeons in the United States and Europe to learn the newest techniques and technologies.
Soong has recently been elected to the position of secretary of the Victorian Shoulder and Elbow Society for 2022 and 2023 and is a reviewer for Shoulder and Elbow Journal.
• Shoulder and Elbow Society of Australia (SESA)
• Victorian Shoulder and Elbow Society (VSES) – secretary
• International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
• Asia Pacific Knee, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine Society (APKASS)
• European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery, and Arthroscopy (ESSKA)
• Australian Chinese Medical Association of Victoria (ACMAV)